CAROUSEL is a hybrid arts/lit/culture magazine based in Toronto, Canada. We give equal space to word and image, and ideally work with artists interested in "exploring the page" in any way they see fit.
CAD 10.00 — Released 1 June 2013
80 Pages, Perfect-bound / CMYK / Offset
Inside CAROUSEL 31:
• Retchin Pump profiles California-based mixed-media artist / zine maker Souther Salazar and additionally discusses The Trading Tortoise, his traveling art project which focuses on connecting communities through the exploration of objects and stories.
• We shine a critical spotlight on Guernica Editions 'First Poets Series', which was established in 2007 for the purpose of fostering and showcasing fresh, dynamic work from emerging authors: Mark Laliberte interviews Series Editor Elana Wolff, who discusses the evolution of the imprint and the importance of nurturing emerging voices. Additionally, the three most recent First Poet Series authors, Sonia Di Placido, David Reibetanz and Liz Worth present works in the journal, specifically relating them to their First Poets collections or discussing the process of moving forward into new territory.
• Jason Paradiso looks at the work of Austrian Designer Andreas Scheiger, who creates letterform sculptures that offer a kind of fictionalized anthropological investigation into the 'Evolution of Type'.
• In the 4PANEL experimental comics section, the team of Rosaire Appel, Derik A Badman, Michael DeForge, Larry Eisenstein, Jim Johnstone, Jesse Jacobs, Aaron Linton, Billy Mavreas, Andrei Molotiu, Marc Ngui, MTML, Sarah Scope and Tin Can Forest continue to unearth the literary and formal possibilities of the sequential strip.
• And of course, throughout the issue we feature an eclectic mix of new poetry, fiction and visual pieces by Bora Baskan, Kathleen Brown, Colin Brush, Louise Carson, Ryan J. Cox, Dani Crosby, Happy Sleepy, Drazen Kozjan, Lance Nizami, Daniel Rouse, Luke Siemens, Studio Bertjan Pot, Jane Spavold Tims, Terry Towbridge and Catriona Wright.
Preview ... http://www.carouselmagazine.ca/c31.html